Plano is offering tips to residents for summer home maintenance as the hottest part of the year approaches.
The tips can help increase safety on your property, lower your energy bills and extend the life of mechanical equipment, the city said in an email.
Here are some of the ideas the city offers:
- Keep a regular mowing schedule to encourage a lush and green lawn. A well-maintained lawn can save you money by not placing excessive wear on lawnmowers, tools and lawn treatments.
- Repair cracks in driveways and walkways to eliminate tripping hazards.
- Seal wooden decks to protect from decay and splintering.
- Replace or repair sections of a broken or leaning fence to help extend the fence’s life.
- Install high-quality insulation in attics and cavity walls to save energy and reduce electricity costs.
- Use caulking to seal gaps and cracks around doors and windows to keep your home comfortable and energy efficient.
- Check your heating system when the weather is warm so you’re prepared to hire a professional to make any needed repairs before cool weather arrives in the fall.
- Hire a professional to clean your chimney. This will reduce the risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning when using the chimney during cooler weather.