Stephen Miller Tests Positive as White House Outbreak Grows

Here’s what you need to know:

Credit…Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times

On Tuesday evening, senior administration officials confirmed that Stephen Miller, Mr. Trump’s top speechwriter and a policy adviser, had tested positive for the coronavirus, joining a growing list of Mr. Trump’s close aides who have the virus.

“Over the last five days I have been working remotely and self-isolating, testing negative every day through yesterday,” Mr. Miller said in a statement. “Today, I tested positive for Covid-19 and am in quarantine.”

Mr. Miller is married to Katie Miller, Vice President Mike Pence’s communications director. A senior administration official said Ms. Miller, who contracted the virus this spring and returned to work in May, was tested Tuesday morning and was negative for any new infection.

On Tuesday, many White House offices were empty as officials stayed

Read More

Colorado Rapids scrap plans to host fans at upcoming home matches after COVID-19 outbreak

Plans to host fans at upcoming Colorado Rapids matches at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park have been scuttled after the team recently experienced a COVID-19 outbreak, the club announced Monday afternoon.

The team planned to have as many as 1,165 fans (6% capacity) attend matches Wednesday and Saturday nights at its Commerce City stadium. But after 14 people within the Rapids organization (four players, 10 staff members) tested positive for the virus during the last two weeks, those plans were put on hold “out of an abundance of caution.”

MLS postponed Colorado’s previous two matches against Sporting Kansas City (Sept. 27) and the Portland Timbers (Oct. 3) due to the outbreak. The team will return to its home field 7 p.m. Wednesday against LAFC, followed by another match at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park 5 p.m. Saturday vs. the L.A. Galaxy — just not with fans in the stadium.

“The health and

Read More

Criminal charges filed against superintendent, former medical director at Holyoke Soldiers’ Home after deadly Covid-19 outbreak

The superintendent and former medical director of the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home face criminal charges in connection with a Covid-19 outbreak at the veteran’s home earlier this year, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey said Friday.



a building with a grassy area: An American flag flies at half-mast outside the Holyoke Soldiers' Home on April 29, 2020, in Holyoke, Massachusetts.


© Matthew Cavanaugh/Getty Images
An American flag flies at half-mast outside the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home on April 29, 2020, in Holyoke, Massachusetts.

The nursing home for veterans in Massachusetts suffered a deadly Covid-19 outbreak in March and April. According to staff and union accounts shared with CNN, the home dealt with systemic issues like short staffing for years.

On Thursday, a grand jury indicted Superintendent Bennett Walsh, 50, and former medical director David Clinton, 71, “for causing or permitting serious bodily injury or neglect of an elder during the Covid-19 outbreak,” Healey said.

They are each facing 10 counts: five counts of criminal neglect and five counts of serious bodily injury.

CNN has reached out

Read More

Two charged in deadly COVID-19 outbreak at Massachusetts veterans’ home

(Reuters) – Two people were indicted for their alleged role in a COVID-19 outbreak at a Massachusetts veterans’ home that contributed to the deaths of at least 76 residents, the state’s attorney general announced on Friday.



a group of zebra standing on top of a bench in a park: FILE PHOTO: Outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Connecticut


© Reuters/BRIAN SNYDER
FILE PHOTO: Outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Connecticut

A grand jury on Thursday indicted superintendent Bennett Walsh and David Clinton, the former medical director of the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke, on charges of criminal neglect related to their work at the facility.

“We allege that the actions of these defendants during the COVID-19 outbreak at the facility put veterans at higher risk of infection and death and warrant criminal charges,” Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey said in a statement.

Healey said the charges stem from the two individuals’ roles in decision-making on March 27 at the home that led to the consolidation of two dementia units into one.

Read More

2 charged for handling of virus outbreak at veterans home

The Holyoke Soldiers Home in Holyoke, Mass., on March 31, 2020.

Christopher Evans | MediaNews Group | Boston Herald via Getty Images

Two former leaders of a Massachusetts home for aging veterans where nearly 80 people sickened by the coronavirus died have been criminally charged for their handling of the outbreak, the state’s attorney general said Friday.

It’s believed to be the first criminal case in the country brought against nursing home officials for actions taken during the pandemic, Attorney General Maura Healey said.

Former Holyoke Soldiers’ Home Superintendent Bennett Walsh and former Medical Director David Clinton were indicted by a grand jury on charges stemming from their decision to combine two dementia units in March, packing residents who were COVID-19 positive into the same room with those who had no symptoms, Healey said.

Walsh and Clinton could each face prison time if convicted of charges of causing or permitting

Read More